Deli Roast Beef and Gravy
This Quick Fix idea came from my mom. She would occasionally (rarely) make this meal for us.
1. Ready Serve Mashed Potatoes (found in the pre-packaged lunch meat section of your grocery store). Get them started in the microwave.
STOP! Time to set the record straight. My mom never, ever, ever cooked instant mashed potatoes. And "ready serve" or "steam and mash" potatoes didn't exist yet. Almost every night without fail she peeled, pressure cooked, and whipped a pot full of mashed potatoes. They are the best! But I resent all that labor. So we've grown accustomed to the short cut.
2. Pop open a can of brown gravy. Heat. Throw in slices of roast beef lunch meat. Heat some more.
3. Dump a can of green beans in a bowl and microwave.
Fake It Gourmet
Have a few more minutes and want to take the taste of your meal to the next level?
- Saute chopped onions, minced garlic, and/or sliced mushrooms with a little bit of olive oil in the sauce pan before adding gravy.
- Add a bit of balsamic vinegar to gravy. Amazing way to boost the flavor of beef.
- Cook the green beans stove-type style on low heat. Throw in a slice of ham or bacon to add a little flavor. Fish out the fellow before serving.
Do you have any cooking shortcuts or tips your parents passed on to you? Share it below!