Friday, August 26, 2011

Extreme Ironing

I quit.
I quit ironing. And I think I may have found a use for my unused ironing board:



No, I didn't hire Alice from the Brady Bunch to do my ironing for me. What I learned is that if I hang up my clothes as soon as they are dry, for the most part they remain wrinkle-free. And if I miss a load and it sits in the dryer, anything that needs "ironing" goes back into the dryer for another spin.  

I do iron once in a blue moon, usually that hem or lapel that won't stay down or a fabric that is stubborn. It's been a couple of years now, so I am seriously considering doing away with my full board and switching to a table top version.



Extreme Ironing
But did you know there is such a thing as Extreme Ironing? When I first heard of it, I pictured my Nana standing in her living room for hours, ironing dress shirts and tablecloths, while watching her "stories" (soap operas).

Actually, it is a "sport", or an "art", depending on who you ask. It's doing any extreme outdoor activity with the satisfaction of a well-pressed shirt as a bonus. Teams compete to earn the prize for ironing in the most extreme places: underwater, on a glacier, at the top of a mountain. (Learn more about it here and here.)

  

So, you can get yourself some scuba lessons, or just a few more hangers and watch crazy people who iron.




***UPDATE***
Now THIS is the ironing board of my dreams


I found this idea on Pinterest.  Details on where this pull-out ironing board / drawer can be found here at Better Homes & Gardens.  Too bad I don't have a cabinet with drawers.  A girl can dream...